About - Outline of NBRP-Rice (third term 2012-2016)
Japan has some of the world’s most valuable collections of rice genetic resources. The NBRP-Rice collects, preserves, and provides a wide variety of genetic resources of wild and cultivated rice as well as valuable information of them for rice researchers. Specifically, the following efforts will be made aiming to meet different needs in current research areas of rice science.
- Preservation and provision of worldwide collection of wild rice species (23 species, 1,700 accessions).Characterization and reclassification of the wild accessions. Development of DNA markers to classify the wild rice species.
- Collection of experimental rice strains derived from wild species such as chromosome segment substitution lines (CSSLs) and monosomic alien addition lines.
- Collection of MNU-induced mutants derived from several varieties.
- Open laboratory supporting TILLING analysis to identify mutations in MNU-induced mutants
- Creation and management of ORYZABASE database for releasing rice resource and genomics information
The National Institute of Genetics functions as the core facility, managing all projects and handling the practical aspects of the wild species rice projects. Kyushu university is responsible for collecting mutants induced by the chemical (MNU) and CSSL series of wild species. Nagoya University shares responsibility for collecting other experimental strains of cultivated rice.
Collections of CSSLs carrying chromosome segments (red box) from different A genome species with an O.sativa background (upper), and remarkable phenotypes found in it (lower).
- Wild species rice strains
（approx. 6,800 strains）
- MNU-induced mutant strains
(approx. 7,400 strains)
(derived from Kinmaze, TC65, Kitaake, & Yukihikari)
- Others including CSSLs of wild species
(approx. 3,700 strains)
- New version of ORYZABASE
ORYZABASE, an integrated rice science database, provides information about all our stocks of wild rice strains, mutant lines, and CSSLs with phenotype and genotype data. Recently, it was upgraded to increase the functionality of webpages.